Video Card for FreeBSD 9.0 (RC2) AMD64

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Mon Dec 12 06:18:51 UTC 2011

On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 21:22:39 -0800
"Thomas D. Dean" <tomdean at speakeasy.org> wrote:

> ASUS P9X79 Motherboard, Intel i7-3930K, Diamond Radeon HD 6870 Vide,
> ASUS VS228 Monitor.
>
> I have been looking for a video card that FreeBSD 9.0 (RC2) AMD64
> supports fully.  Nothing, so far.
[...]
> I need a video card that will support my monitor but not require KMS.
> Any suggestions?

These are two different requirements. A "fully supported video card"
would mean that you can access all the features of the video chip
set. On 64bit FreeBSD, that pretty much lets out NVidia and ATI -
neither release full docs or 64bit proprietary drivers for FreeBSD
(though NVidia has been working on theirs). You'll need to try some
other manufacturers chip sets.

On the other hand, to "support my monitor" should take nothing more
than driving your display at maximum resolution. The open source
drivers for either NVidia or ATI should do that. Of course, you
probably won't be able to access all video acceleration features of
the chip set. Since this is what I'm looking for, I tend to buy
whatever obsolete ATI or NVidia card is available from Amazon for
cheap. That generally works pretty well for me.

    <mike
--
Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org>		http://www.mired.org/
Independent Software developer/SCM consultant, email for more information.