Install Problems on ASUS P9X79 GPT

Thomas D. Dean tomdean at speakeasy.org
Mon Dec 5 08:00:37 UTC 2011

I have an ASUS P9X79 motherboard, i7-3939K, 16G Ram, 2x WD5000AAKX 500G
SATA III Disks, USB wireless mouse and keyboard, etc.

I have been fooling with this for two days and not making a lot of
progress.  Lots of google time and seemingly random installs...

The BIOS is UEFI and wants a GPT disk.  I have the latest BIOS.

I have windows 7 on the 2nd disk, for some reason it could not be
installed to the first disk - strange.

I tried FreeBSD 9.0 (RC2) and could not get past the partition editor.
After a few key strokes, BSDInstall stopped responding.

I did manage to get Ubuntu to install and dual boot with windows,
although on the first disk.  I missed the selection of disk, etc., if
offered...

What I want is

Disk  Size Part       OS
 1    100G 1,2        Windows 7 (for warranty issues)
 1     50G 3,4        Some version of linux (porting code to FreeBSD)
 1    350G 5,6,7,etc. FreeBSD 8.2 (daily use)

I plan to manually install FreeBSD 8.2.  Use gpart to create the
partitions
  n    /      2G
  n+1  swap   32G
  n+2  /var   2G
  n+3  /tmp   2G
  n+4  /usr   310G+
Mount the partitions down from /mnt and manually install all the parts
of 8.2 RELEASE from the DVD.

The second disk will be used for backup and data.  I may track -current
here...

If I can get ubuntu to install on partitions 3 and 4, then update-grub
should find all the OS's and boot should work.

What am I missing?

tomdean