FreeBSD/amd64 Project -- motherboards Call For Update

Steve Kargl sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu
Tue Nov 2 20:00:16 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 02, 2010 at 07:47:52PM +0000, Piotr Kudzin wrote:

> So if this list is not gonna be updated, it should be removed permanently.
> Apart of that maybe some users will share their opinions with us on this
> mailing list, it can be very useful if you want update your hardware,
> sometimes dry informations (just like "it is supported") are not enough,
> sometimes you need to know how does it work in real conditions. Folks i'm
> still waiting for YOU to speak out

OK, I'll speak out.  Today, the list is useless.  When freebsd-amd64
was introduced years ago, it was a good idea to have a list of
supported motherboards because well freebsd-amd64 was new.  Today,
there are simply too many motherboards to keep an accurate list.
Not to mention that manufacturers are constantly dropping older
model motherboards for the next latest and greatest design.  MSI
lists 20 different boards for AMD processors alone.  Three of
those boards have flashing "new" icons next to the model numbers.

--
Steve