amd64/144756: Transferring files on samba causes the kernel to crash

Timothy Yen yen.timothy at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 07:40:05 UTC 2010

>Number:         144756
>Category:       amd64
>Synopsis:       Transferring files on samba causes the kernel to crash
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
I am transferring a large amount of media files to my RAIDZ of 3x2TB disks through Samba. After about 10-15 minutes I get this error

msk0 watchdog timeout

Another time I got this error while using grep on the machine

Fatal trap 9: general protection fault while in kernel mode
cpuid = 1; apic id = 01
instruction pointer     = 0x20:0xffffffff80e36d54
stack pointer           = 0x28:0xffffff8079ae6700
frame pointer           = 0x28:0xffffff8079ae6710
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, long 1, def 32 0, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 1290 (grep)
trap number             = 9
panic: general protection fault
cpuid = 1
Uptime = 28m33s
Cannot dump. Device not defined or unavailable.
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort

Another time I got this error when I wasn't typing on my server.

panic: kmem_malloc(131072): kmem_map too small: 1346445312 total allocated
cpuid = 0
Uptime: 24m20s
Physical memory: 4066 MB
Dumping 2825 MB: 2810 2794 278 2762
>How-To-Repeat:
My hardware is Asus P5Q-E, 2x2GB PC800, Geforce 8800 GTS 640MB, 2x250 GB in RAID 1 ZFS, 3x2TB in RAIDZ. Transfer a large amount of files (approx 50 MB/s) in Samba to the RAIDZ. I've tried both LAN ports on my motherboard, and they give this error.
>Fix:
No idea.