When will the amd64 be supported?

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Fri Jun 4 15:35:34 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 12:16:50AM -0700, fbsdmail at dnswatch.com wrote:
> Greetings,
>  If it isn't already apparent, this is my first attempt building kernel
> on an AMD based arch. I have spent some 20yrs building world/kernel on
> the arch i386. But, after reading everything I thought I would need to
> know, I'm /still/ unable to complete a successful kernel build on the
> amd64 arch.
>
> cd /usr/src
> make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYAMDKERN

You need to copy MYAMDKERN  to /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf/ first!

> fails with alot of "i386" errors
> So, on a fresh 8-RELEASE install from DVD w/cvsupped src && ports, now
> running GENERIC, with a successful buildworld...
> Is it possible to build for the amd64 arch?

You _did_ install the amd64 architecture, right? Not i386? Because if you
installed the i386 it is better to install the amd64 version from scratch than
to try and cross-build and install amd64 on an i386 system.

> If so, can anyone suggest where I went wrong?

Cross-building and especially installing an amd64 kernel and userland on i386
is quite involved and not recommended. Save yourself the trouble and don't go
there.

Just re-install using the CD or DVD built for the amd64 architecture. It's less
painfull. You should also delete all your ports and rebuild them for amd64.

Roland