amd64/142306: ZFS (from OSX Leopard) causes two kernel panics

Stefan Krauth sdk at xxzz.de
Mon Jan 4 12:20:01 UTC 2010

>Number:         142306
>Category:       amd64
>Synopsis:       ZFS (from OSX Leopard) causes two kernel panics
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Hello,

I've a problem that a harddrive formatted with ZFS via OSX kills my FBSD.
Two kernel panics occur when attaching a ZFS volume created by OSX Snow Leopard (10.6.2).

ZFS Volumes create with FreeBSD are running fine. I also played around with enabling/disabling ZIL, prefetch, adjusting memory usage... the result was always the same.

It would be nice if you could help here.

Best Regards,
Stefan
>How-To-Repeat:
Create a ZFS Disk with OSX Snow Leopard and plug it into the FreeBSD machine. Dmesg shows that the disk is recognized and immediately after this two kernel panics occur.

It does not matter how the ZFS volume is connected. I tried to connect the same disk as USB and IDE device.

NOTE: I'm not shure if it is related to ZFS. I renamed the zfs kernel modules (just to be shure that they can not be loaded). And the panics also occured. It might have to do with the fact that OSX creates GPT (Guid Partition Table) and FBSD can not deal with it?

The panics are not written to the filesystem, and currently I've no dump device available that's big enough (4gb ram, 2gb swap).

If you need a dump or any further information, let me know - I'll try to get it.