amd64/135040: FreeBSD/amd64 does not (always) detect disk on SB600/AliveXFire eSata 2

Jung-uk Kim jkim at FreeBSD.org
Fri May 29 22:14:23 UTC 2009

On Friday 29 May 2009 05:50 pm, Alexander Motin wrote:
>  I have installed 4GB RAM into my ICH9 based system and it works
> fine. 64bit support is optional for AHCI controllers. It is
> controlled by one of capability bits and driver honors that flag.
> But as I can see, Linux explicitly disables 64bit support for SB600
> controller, so it may be hardware problem. You can try to force
> 32bit mode by commenting last two lines of ata_ahci_dmainit()
> function.

The Linux patch was reverted by an AMD developer and replaced with a
BIOS quirk few days ago:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ide/41082/

Basically, AMD says this is not a chip bug.

FYI...

Jung-uk Kim