cpu does not support long mode

Nate Eldredge neldredge at math.ucsd.edu
Wed Jun 17 18:19:29 UTC 2009

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009, Jo Rhett wrote:

> On Jun 17, 2009, at 10:28 AM, Peter Wemm wrote:
>> Yes, it is a 32-bit only cpu.
>

> I was digging around before I bugged anyone, and I could find no evidence of
> a dual-core Xeon that wasn't 64bit...

I didn't either, but the vast profusion of CPUs that Intel calls "Xeon"
makes matters very confusing.

Do you know the CPU model number?  (I suppose you could take the machine
apart and read the chip, if nothing else.  See
http://support.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-028738.htm)  Or is there
possibly some useful information printed by the BIOS at boot time?  Once
you have a number, http://processorfinder.intel.com/ may be of help.

Intel also has their own identification utility at
http://www.intel.com/support/processors/tools/piu/index.htm .  There's a
Windows version as well as a bootable version.  (The bootable version
claims to be OS independent but the download is an EXE file, so I'm not
sure how that is supposed to work.)

--

Nate Eldredge
neldredge at math.ucsd.edu