amd64/135276: GUI running first time only while using FreeBSD 7.2 + Xorg + ATI Radeon Xpress 1100

Adhoniran Gomes adhoniran.gomes at ig.com.br
Fri Jun 5 05:20:02 UTC 2009

>Number:         135276
>Category:       amd64
>Synopsis:       GUI running first time only while using FreeBSD 7.2 + Xorg + ATI Radeon Xpress 1100
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
FreeBSD host.domain 7.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE #0: Fri May  1 07:18:07 UTC 2009     root at driscoll.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

After installing FreeBSD 7.2 and editing the /etc/rc.conf and /usr/local/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc files I'm able to start KDE typing startx, but works one time only. After quiting from KDE using is impossible to start GUI again. Is like trying to load GUI infinitely. I need to restart FreeBSD to run KDE again. I'm using a Acer 5050-3233 notebook with ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 (Xpress 200M chipset).

PS.: The Konsole application is not running. Nothing happening trying to load the application.

>How-To-Repeat:
Running GUI typing startx and log off from the GUI session. When trying to start GUI again using startx command again, is not possible.

>Fix:
No fixes...