Intel Xeon Processor kernel compile CPU type.

Howard Leadmon howard at leadmon.net
Fri Feb 20 06:22:46 PST 2009

 I knew HAMMER was the only type for making your kernel, but what CPUTYPE's
are OK for 64bit?  I was under the impression that nocona was the 64bit
processor, but guess maybe there are more.   I don't have a quad, but do
have a pair of dual core processors in a few machines that are running
FBSD7.

CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz (2793.20-MHz K8-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0xf48  Stepping = 8

Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA
,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
  Features2=0x649d<SSE3,RSVD2,MON,DS_CPL,EST,CNXT-ID,CX16,xTPR>
  AMD Features=0x20100800<SYSCALL,NX,LM>
  AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>
  Cores per package: 2
  Logical CPUs per core: 2
FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 8 CPUs

 So should this stuff be set to nocona, core2, or what??

---
Howard