amd64/141060: Can't install 8.0-RELEASE on the server where 7.2 works fine

Konstantin Belov kostya at adfox.ru
Tue Dec 1 17:30:02 UTC 2009

>Number:         141060
>Category:       amd64
>Synopsis:       Can't install 8.0-RELEASE on the server where 7.2 works fine
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Can not install 8.0-RELEASE on the server where 7.2 were installed successfully. After creating fdisk slices and FSs the installator tries to do newfs and says "Can not find device node /dev/aacd0s1a" (but it just was created). Tried to install not on the ARRAY, but on SATA HDD attached directrly to motherboard controller, but had the same message.
Configuration: M/B Supermicro X7DBE-X, Intel X5410, Adaptec 2820SA (PCI-X).

Next:
Tried to upgrade successfully installed 7.2 to 8.0. After rebooting with new kernel it can not find root FS and I can not find it too in the list of possible mount devices (i.e. no aacd0s1a, just aacd0a). But entering to the loader prompt and making lsdev shows all FSs and SWAP on the disk where it was created (disk D).
>How-To-Repeat:
Try to install on the specefied configuration.
>Fix:
Could not do anything. Finally leave 7.2 version on the server. Hope I'm not alone with such a trouble and you will find the problem and make a fix.