8.0-BETA2 not getting my 4Gigs of ram

Kostik Belousov kostikbel at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 09:31:11 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 09:42:14AM +0200, Mark Stapper wrote:
> Claus Guttesen wrote:
> >> BIOS reports (around) 4GiB
> >> Gentoo reports appr. 2.9GiB
> >> *cough* Windows *cough* reports 4GiB
> >> I'll get on the dmesg once I get home.
> >> Greetz,
> >> Mark
> >>

> > You might want to try to download an image from memtest.org.
> >

> I actually made a typo...
> Gentoo reports 3.9GiB (bad type I know)
> My memory is fine. It's been running very, very stable for over 2 years.
> I've been searching the net, and I think Kostik is right, it's just a
> "cosmetic" info message in early boot, but still, sloppy...
> So I will do the verbose boot and post dmesg here. I do think it is
> strange that it states that I have the exact amount of 2 Gibibyte of
> "real memory" in dmesg.
> Could it be a limitation of my motherboard driver?
> I can't imagine it's like this on all amd64 systems... Someone might
> have said something right?
> In any way I'll post the verbose boot logging here tonight/tomorrow when
> I get home from work.
> greetz,
> Mark

The "real memory" line is what smbios parser parsed. Value reported
on the "available memory" line is the actual amount of memory kernel
detected and is going to use. "Real memory" value is used only to
display that "real memory" line.

I do agree that the printout is very confusing, and I suspect that our
smbios parser has a bug. Contact jkim@, who is the author of r190599,
that introduced this behaviour.