Cross build of i386 on 7.0 fails

Steven Hartland killing at multiplay.co.uk
Fri Jan 25 07:50:58 PST 2008

I'm sure I must be missing something simple but I've searched google
and the mail archives and cant find the answer to this.

When trying to build i386 targets in amd64 buildkernel fails with the
following:-
> make buildkernel TARGET=i386
>>> stage 3.1: making dependencies
/usr/src/sys/i386/i386/genassym.c:1: error: -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 is not between 4 and 12

What I think is happening is that something is still working as though
I want amd64 bins and hence the error. Is this the case? What am I
missing?

On an related topic upgrading i386 boxes to amd64 and vice versa from
source is this possible, if so how. I tried installing a new amd64
( 7.0 ) kernel on my test i386 ( 6.2 ) machine but boot failed with:
init died ( signal 0, exit 1 )

I'm sure this is FAQ but again searching google and mail lists didn't
help.

    Regards
    Steve