PXE install hangs on 6.3, 7.0

Bjoern A. Zeeb bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net
Wed Jan 9 06:45:08 PST 2008

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008, Anders Nordby wrote:

> This is my loader.rc:
>
> echo Loading Kernel...
> load /kernel
> echo Loading mfsroot...
> load -t mfs_root /mfsroot
> echo booting...
> echo Installing snapshot - anders at fupp.net
> set vfs.root.mountfrom="ufs:/dev/md0c"
> set nfs_load="YES"
> boot

> And there it stops.
>
> Snooping on the data transmitted on the install server with ngrep, it
> seems the kernel and sysinstall are both loaded:
>
> http://anders.fupp.net/test/hang-byline.log
>
> http://anders.fupp.net/test/hang-raw.log
>
> (These have the same data, in slightly different format. Be careful to
> load it in Firefox, it'll make it blow up. :-))

I pressed stop loading before it blew up and then got back to the mail
and read the hint. Thanks:-)

>> I am just blindly trying to get more information as what you say is a
>> bit vague.
>
> It's vague to mee too, cause I get no error messages.
>
> BTW: I am using pxeboot built on FreeBSD/amd64 7.0 (PRERELEASE). But it
> seems to be using the i386 asm code, as there is none for amd64?

it's the same.

> Do you have any possibility to try PXE-installing amd64, with newer
> releases? I am trying on an older HP DL 380 now, it has the same
> problem with 6.3 and 7.0.

Do you have the hints compiled into the kernel or lying around
there in the tftp area?
Could you check the logs if loader (successfully) reads it?

If it does, swapping hint.sio.0 and hint.sio.1 might be worth a try.

--
Bjoern A. Zeeb                                 bzeeb at Zabbadoz dot NeT
Software is harder than hardware  so better get it right the first time.