PXE install hangs on 6.3, 7.0

Anders Nordby anders at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jan 9 06:04:10 PST 2008

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 08:00:30AM +0000, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
>>I read Stefan Lambrev's mail about PXE problems on this list with
>>interest, as I've had my own trying to PXE install a HP Proliant DL 580.
>>
>>It seems that my installation hangs right after the end of loader.rc. I
> So loader ist laoded and working and you get output from that?

Yes. This is the output:

BTX loader 1.00  BTX version is 1.01
Consoles: internal video/keyboard
BIOS drive A: is disk0
BIOS drive C: is disk1

PXE version 2.1, real mode entry point @9a38:00d6
BIOS 637kB/3668940kB available memory

FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
(root at cache12.finn.no, Mon Nov 19 13:12:45 CET 2007)
pxe_open: server addr: 192.168.122.1
pxe_open: server path: /tftpboot
pxe_open: gateway ip:  192.168.122.1
/kernel text=0x74ab88 data=0xf28d8+0x72128
syms=[0x8+0xabd50+0x8+0x93b3f]
booting...
Installing snapshot - anders at fupp.net

This is my loader.rc:

echo Loading Kernel...
load /kernel
echo Loading mfsroot...
load -t mfs_root /mfsroot
echo booting...
echo Installing snapshot - anders at fupp.net
set vfs.root.mountfrom="ufs:/dev/md0c"
set nfs_load="YES"
boot

I do not get any more output by changing to boot -v.
>>do not get any kernel output or sysinstall messages. This happens with
>>FreeBSD/amd64 6.3-RC2 and 7.0-RC1, but not with 6.2.
>>
>>Any ideas?
> Do you have a serial console to paste what you get?

I've got access to a screen-scraping KVM-over-IP through SSH and a virtual
serial port. Output is pasted above.

> Can you try a show at the end of loader.rc before boot? Would boot -Dh
> help?

Using boot -Dh does not give any more information than what I get above,
on serial port or on the screen. But if I put show before boot, and it
gives me:

LINES=24
acpi_load=YES
boot.netif.gateway=192.168.122.1
boot.netif.hwaddr=00:12:79:cf:57:33
boot.netif.ip=192.168.122.14
boot.netif.netmask=255.255.255.0
boot.nfsroot.nfshandle=X6c23f14397ac0fb00c00000000b8000004c2f8ef000000000000000000000000X
boot.nfsroot.path=/tftpboot
boot.nfsroot.server=192.168.122.1
boot_serial=YES
comconsole_speed=9600
console=comconsole
currdev=pxe0:
dhcp.host-name=
hint.acpi.0.oem=HP
hint.acpi.0.revision=2
hint.ac

And there it stops.

Snooping on the data transmitted on the install server with ngrep, it
seems the kernel and sysinstall are both loaded:

http://anders.fupp.net/test/hang-byline.log

http://anders.fupp.net/test/hang-raw.log

(These have the same data, in slightly different format. Be careful to
load it in Firefox, it'll make it blow up. :-))

> I am just blindly trying to get more information as what you say is a
> bit vague.

It's vague to mee too, cause I get no error messages.

BTW: I am using pxeboot built on FreeBSD/amd64 7.0 (PRERELEASE). But it
seems to be using the i386 asm code, as there is none for amd64?

Do you have any possibility to try PXE-installing amd64, with newer
releases? I am trying on an older HP DL 380 now, it has the same
problem with 6.3 and 7.0.

Bye,

--
Anders.