"freebsd-amd64"

Pete French petefrench at ticketswitch.com
Wed Feb 27 13:03:50 UTC 2008

> I've been following the subject for about 5 months now, and nobody seems
> to be doing anything.

Slightly harsh - it's been fully investigated and the cause of the
problem found. From John Baldwin's email:

"So the SMAP problem is that in the one BIOS I looked at, the SMAP BIOS call
 only works from real mode.  Even if invoked from virtual 86 mode, the BIOS
 call fails.  FreeBSD only calls the BIOS SMAP call from virtual 86 mode both
 in the loader and in the i386 kernel.  The fix is quite complicated and
 involves rewriting the boot code to invoke BIOS calls from real mode rather
 than virtual 86 mode."

-pete.