[ATA] and re(4) stability issues

Victor Balada Diaz victor at bsdes.net
Mon Dec 15 01:02:10 PST 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 01:13:09PM +0100, Victor Balada Diaz wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 10:50:21AM +0100, Victor Balada Diaz wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 06:00:56PM +0900, Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
> > >
> > > I've reverted r185756 which caused GMII access issues on some
> > > controllers. If you are brave enough to try beta code, you can
> > > get latest re(4) in the following URL. Note, I don't have PCIe
> > > based RealTek controllers so the code was not tested at all.
> > >
> > > http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/re/if_re.c
> > > http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/re/if_rlreg.h
> >
> > I've recompiled the kernel with the first file in sys/dev/re/
> > and the second one in sys/pci/. I'm still testing with MSI enabled.
> >
> > So far tried rebooting using nextboot(8) (just in case i lost the
> > network card i could boot again) and the card seems to work
> > but i'll continue stress testing the machine with stress + dd +
> > iperf and see if i can take it down. I'll let you know how it goes.
>
> After a day of stress testing the machine haven't got errors, interrupt
> storms or interface up/down problems. Everything seems fine.
> I'll continue stress testing the machine during the weekend, but
> i would say that this time it's fixed.

Stopped stress testing this morning. After all the weekend testing
seems the re(4) problems were fixed. No single interface up/down error.
netstat -i reports no errors and everything is fine. Thanks a lot!

I'm going to deploy the patches on our production machines.

I've been able to trigger interrupt storms with ATA code, though.

--
La prueba más fehaciente de que existe vida inteligente en otros
planetas, es que no han intentado contactar con nosotros.