amd64/129238: [panic] System randomly panics

Holger Kipp hk at alogis.com
Tue Dec 2 06:27:46 PST 2008

On Tue, Dec 02, 2008 at 09:20:03AM +0000, Jurriaan Nijkamp wrote:
> The following reply was made to PR amd64/129238; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: "Jurriaan Nijkamp" <alias at jurrie.net>
> To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org,
>  alias at jurrie.net
> Subject: Re: amd64/129238: [panic] System randomly panics
> Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 08:13:22 +0100 (CET)
>
>  After another crash yesterday, I got a new dump which, according to
>  someone who knows what he's talking about, is actually useful. He also
>  said the problem may lie with faulty memory, but I must say I did a
>  memtest86+ test last week which said my memory was working perfectly.

I once had a board (high quality) with memory (high quality) with
memory problems - ie a simple make -j8 buildworld would reliably panic
the system, but running memtest for hours did not show any problems.

It turned out to be a timing issue - we did hit exactly the combination
of memory and mainboard that didn't work well together. We swapped memory
with a different system and both were running fine afterwards.

So please do not rely on output of memtest alone - it is not stressing
the system the way real applications do.

>  I am pasting the output of kgdb below.

Can't comment on kgdb-output. Sorry.

Regards,
Hoger Kipp