amd64/122624: unusable mininal installation of FreeBSD-7.0

mdh mdh_lists at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 11 01:03:56 UTC 2008

--- John Baldwin <jhb at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> The following reply was made to PR amd64/122624; it
> has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org>
> To: Fernan Aguero <fernan at iib.unsam.edu.ar>
> Cc: freebsd-amd64 at freebsd.org, Fernan Aguero
> <fernan at unsam.edu.ar>,
>         freebsd-gnats-submit at freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: amd64/122624: unusable mininal
> installation of FreeBSD-7.0
> Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 15:12:14 -0400
>
>  On Thursday 10 April 2008 02:44:11 pm Fernan Aguero
> wrote:
>  > > ld-elf.so.1 doesn't use anything from /usr/src.
>  The specific assert that
>  is
>  > > failing is this:
>  > >
>  > >         assert(ELF_R_TYPE(rela->r_info) ==
> R_X86_64_JMP_SLOT);
>  > >
>  > > in reloc_plt() in
> src/libexec/rtld-elf/amd64/reloc.c.
>  >
>  > I wrote down that error on paper and typed it in
> the email
>  > ... but I'm sure it said /usr/src ... that's why
> I decided
>  > to set my /etc/fstab to mount freebsd-7.0 sources
> from another FreeBSD
>  > box and symlink /usr/src.
>
>  That's because the assert() macro puts the full
> filename of the current file
>  into the binary when it is compiled for the error
> message.  The binary is not
>  trying to read anything from /usr/src itse.f
>
>  > > I wonder if you somehow have 32-bit binaries
> instead of 64-bit?
>  > >
>  > > --
>  > > John Baldwin
>  >
>  > I wonder the same thing because after doing that,
> even
>  > though make was now OK (I was able to cd
>  > /usr/ports/sysutils/screen && make install),
> other commands
>  > failed (vi, Exec format error. Binary file not
> executable).
>
>  It certainly sounds like you have mixed and matched
> some things.  Maybe just
>  do a minimal install but include the 'lib32' dist
> for 32-bit binary compat?
>  minimal probably doesn't include it (but vi also
> should be a 64-bit binary,
>  try using 'file' rather than brandelf to see what
> file thinks vi is).

It seems like maybe the OP got some bad installation
media?  Maybe he could download a new bootonly iso and
do a net install off of the fresh media so that he is
definitly getting FreeBSD from the right source, then
use a standard freebsd.org cvsup mirror to update if
desired.  The poster mentioned re-installing - was
this from the same installation media?  If so,
where/how was that installation media obtained?  I've
done a lot of 7.0/amd64 installs and never had this
happen using iso's downloaded from freebsd.org servers
or with a netinstall.
- mdh