Nvidia using 32 bits install

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Tue Apr 1 08:50:42 PDT 2008

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 13:54:01 +0000 "Sébastien Morand" <seb.morand at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi people,
>
> I'm new on FreeBSD, but used to run linux for a lot of years.
> My hardware is : Nvidia 7300GS and Amd64 ...
> The usage is : Desktop + Dev with some classical services : FTP /
> Samba / SSH / Apache / MySQL and of course eclipse (wtp, pdt, cdt,
> etc.) and dev tools.
>
> I read there is no nvidia driver for 64 bits install

This isn't true. The proprietary NVidia driver isn't available for
freebsd on amd64, but the Xorg nvidia driver works - for some
definitions of works - on amd64. The man pages implies your card
should be supported. However, it doesn't support 3d acceleration, and
reports here are that it has problems on SMP systems.

> but there is some in 32 bits install.
>
> Is there any issues to be aware of before installing 32 bits version
> on Amd64? (Compatibilty? Reliability? Performance?)

I don't know that anyone has actually run a 32 bit X server on amd64
freebsd before. If you try it, please report back to us - either
success or failure. In the former case, details on how you did it
would probably be appreciated by those trying to follow in your
footsteps.

	<mike