amd64 process sizes

Thomas Sparrevohn Thomas.Sparrevohn at btinternet.com
Mon Sep 10 05:05:14 PDT 2007

On Monday 10 September 2007 11:43:05 Kostik Belousov wrote:

> > I can see the usefulness of superpages for large objects (like the
> > kernel and database buffer caches) but do they actually have much
> > benefit for normal executables and shared libraries?  Looking through
> > my set of .so's, I only have 6 that have text segments larger than
> > 2MiB (though a 7th is close to 2MiB), the largest (libwx_gtk2) is only
> > 5MiB.  None of the data or bss segments are larger than 2MiB and (the
> > largest is 1.8MiB).

Well - one idea could be to create combined library maps e.g. Tag multiple libraries against a
static location map - One could tag the executeable with a unique identifier in order to overcome
update issues - However I am not sure that it would give benefits as I believe that there are a limited
number of superpage PTE's (I believe, not sure however)

Ideally all - or maybe not all - libraries text part could be mapped into a fixed region that could be shared
using superpages and global pages