First message

Donald J. O'Neill duncan.fbsd at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 03:13:45 PDT 2007

On Sunday 02 September 2007 10:53:15 pm João Henrique wrote:
> Nice to meet you!
> My notebook - HP Pavilion DV9308 - have a dual core AMD Turion64 chip and a
> video card by NVidia (GeForce 6150).
> I can not install FreeBSD on it, because the system freezes completely with
> or without ACPI enabled on boot time.
> I have tried a lot of tips, but this machine is die hard.
> What kind of additional information must be furnished to help me to install
> FreeBSD in my machine?
>
> Thank you!
> Prof. João Henrique G. Borges
> "Mac OS X proves that it's easier to make UNIX pretty than it is to make
> Windows secure."

I have a HP Pavillion DV9010us. What you are describing sounds like what
happened to me. I think your problem is with the installed BIOS. With the
second released version of the BIOS, FreeBSD would install but the CPU was
not recognized as a dual core and ran at half speed. Any version after that
and FreeBSD  would not install, it just hung when booting up the install
disk; some versions of LINUX would install and operate, some would install
but not operate, and some wouldn't install. By going back to the first
released version of the BIOS, FreeBSD amd64 stable would install, the CPU was
immediately recognized as a dual core and it ran at full speed. The problem
was then: the nv driver didn't display adequately on the 17" widescreen, I
needed the nVidia driver which doesn't exit for amd64. I then installed the i
then installed FreeBSD i386 stable and things are fine.

See if F.15 and/or f.16 BIOS is available for your notebook and try those.

Don