amd64/117664: iostat can't display IO current vlaue in first line

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Wed Oct 31 17:28:56 PDT 2007

On Tuesday 30 October 2007 03:22:39 am chifeng wrote:

> >Number:         117664
> >Category:       amd64
> >Synopsis:       iostat can't display IO current vlaue in first line
> >Confidential:   no
> >Severity:       non-critical
> When I write a shell script plugin for munin, I hope get a current value of
IO statistics. But iostat can't do it, it first statistics that are printed
are avaraged over the system uptime. If I use "iostat -c 2 | tail -1 "
command, this will wait 2s at least.
> so I think for iostat first line, 1) iostat should be display current value,
2) have a parameter to display current value at least.

There isn't a 'current value' for iostat to dump.  The kernel just keeps
running counts and iostat simulates a current value by saving the values each
time and computing a delta for each line after the first.  However, for the
first line there is no saved value so it cannot compute a delta.  Probably
you need to write your own plugin that saves the previous values and computes
deltas when queried similar to how iostat behaves.

--
John Baldwin