amd64/117664: iostat can't display IO current vlaue in first line

John Baldwin jhb at FreeBSD.org
Wed Oct 31 16:30:04 PDT 2007

The following reply was made to PR amd64/117664; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org>
To: freebsd-amd64 at freebsd.org
Cc: chifeng <chifeng at gmail.com>, freebsd-gnats-submit at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: amd64/117664: iostat can't display IO current vlaue in first line
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 13:53:35 -0400

 On Tuesday 30 October 2007 03:22:39 am chifeng wrote:

 > >Number:         117664
 > >Category:       amd64
 > >Synopsis:       iostat can't display IO current vlaue in first line
 > >Confidential:   no
 > >Severity:       non-critical
 > When I write a shell script plugin for munin, I hope get a current value of
 IO statistics. But iostat can't do it, it first statistics that are printed
 are avaraged over the system uptime. If I use "iostat -c 2 | tail -1 "
 command, this will wait 2s at least.
 > so I think for iostat first line, 1) iostat should be display current value,
 2) have a parameter to display current value at least.

 There isn't a 'current value' for iostat to dump.  The kernel just keeps
 running counts and iostat simulates a current value by saving the values each
 time and computing a delta for each line after the first.  However, for the
 first line there is no saved value so it cannot compute a delta.  Probably
 you need to write your own plugin that saves the previous values and computes
 deltas when queried similar to how iostat behaves.

 --
 John Baldwin