Experiences with RELENG_7

P.U.Kruppa ulrich at pukruppa.net
Sun Oct 28 04:18:19 PDT 2007

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> P.U.Kruppa wrote:

>>> Yes, so this is a different problem again.  People have reported this
>>> problem with 4BSD, but I don't think it is understood.  Just to confirm,
>>> since we're discussing ULE here do you see this problem with ULE?
>> Yes, but as I said, ULE works better than 4BSD.
>
> OK, so what does "works better" mean?
This is the difficult point. Actually this is my personal and
subjective impression.
I can explain what I would like to do:
As a typical FreeBSD "user" (probably opposed to a "developer"),
I do upgrade base system and ports about once a week.
In the meantime I have got my work to do (usually with firefox,
openoffice, evince, gimp and diverse mathematics tools -
all inside my gnome enviroment).
Thus I don't care to much about upgrade performance - it should
just run in the background and get ready some day.

But honestly, I have no idea how to quantify or benchmark this.

Uli.

> Kris

Peter Ulrich Kruppa
Wuppertal