Experiences with RELENG_7

P.U.Kruppa ulrich at pukruppa.net
Sat Oct 27 22:15:14 PDT 2007

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> Roland Smith wrote:
>>> Can you please explain (with supporting paste of command output) what you
>>> mean by this?
>>
>> I'll save some top output next time. But what happened was this; all of
>> a sudden the mouse pointer started moving erratically, and the music
>> playing in audacious started skipping. All other X programs started
>> responding erratically as well. It looked like the X server wasn't
>> getting any CPU time.
I can see that happening during portupgrade on my
7.0-BETA1 FreeBSD 7.0-BETA1 #0: Sat Oct 27 04:15:22 CEST 2007
amd64 UP-machine as well. Situation has been improved by using
SCHED_ULE instead of SCHED_4BSD .

>> It also happened with cc1 when I was compiling a port. In that case the
>> situation returned to normal when that particular instance was
>> finished. That compilation was running in a terminal window that was
>> iconified at the time.
>
> This may be unrelated.  The new version of gcc has higher memory
> requirements, and it is common for it to access swap during compilation when
> the system is also busy running other tasks.  If you see it happening with cc
> again, make sure to check this.
My swap space remains untouched, I have got 2 GB of RAM.

Is there - perhaps - some way to tune down gcc's CPU greediness?

Regards,

Uli.