Upgrading to Xorg 7.2

Kris Anderson ciscoaix at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 9 12:50:00 PST 2007

Hi folks,
I was looking at the UPDATING for xorg
and I am currious about something.

Why are those of us doing fresh downloads of the OS
having to do the upgrade to 7.2? I see that 6.9 is
installed, why not just make 7.2 the default?

In UPDATING
20070519:
  AFFECTS: users of Xorg
  AUTHOR: kris at FreeBSD.org

  Welcome, fearless user!  You are about to embark
upon a mystical
  journey to the world of xorg 7.2.

  This upgrade procedure is for users of portupgrade.
Users of other
  upgrade tools should contact the author for the
corresponding upgrade
  method for that tool.

  It is recommended that you run the xorg 7.2 upgrade
inside a script(1)
  session.  This way, if something goes wrong, you
will have hopefully
  saved enough information for the developers to debug
the problem.
  Make sure you choose a filesystem with lots of space
for the script
  output.

  # script xorg-upgrade

  You may wish to set BATCH=yes in the environment to
avoid interactive
  dialogue boxes.

In # script xorg-upgrade, why doesn't the file tell us
where to get the script and what other files that
might be needed, or where to go for additional
guidance on this step? Please update the UPDATING to
reflect where we're go to get this script. Thank you
very much.

If xorg 6.9 is removed (via pgk_delete
/var/db/pkg/xorg-* along with any complaints about
dependencies) do I still need to go through all the
steps outlined in UPDATING or do I just go in to
ports/x11/xorg (or where ever the meta gizmo is at
these days) and do a make install?

I would have tried pkg_add xorg but I happen to notice
that it was then trying to fetch 6.2. But then perhaps
an enviroment variable might needed to be set.
#pkg_add -r xorg
Fetching
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-6.2-release/Latest/xorg.tbz...
Done.

Is it really fetching 6.2 or is there just a typo
someplace and it should have read 7.2?

Well that's enough inquiring for now, hopefully I can
get the thing going. I'm trying to use the GD library
for PHP and it just wants to go get X stuff. *sigh*