panic: no BIOS SMAP info from loader

Pete French petefrench at ticketswitch.com
Mon Nov 5 12:26:04 PST 2007

> Without an SMAP, FreeBSD/i386 is only going to find about 64M of RAM on the
> box though.  Do you know what the patch was that HP provided for Linux?  I
> wasn't able to find it.  If you disable ACPI is FreeBSD/i386 able to see all
> of the RAM in the box?

I have an HP dc5750 which arrivd on my desk today and have spent the day
wrestling with much the same problems as referred to here!

Like you say, it only sees 64M of memory on boot, so you have to
set hw.physmem in loader.conf to make it use the RAM. It will not boot with
ACPI enabled at all either - has to boot ACPI disabled. Also it will noot
boot amd64, not from the CD or from an install on the hard drive. That
always fails with the error message described in the subject line.

I am rather wishing I had waited before buying the machine and seen this
thread, as the purpose was to have a test amd64 desktop :-(

But... it here, and its running, and I have a lot of space to test various
OS'es on it as required. Currently has 6.3-BETA for both i386 and amd64
installed (of which only one will bot obviously).

cheers,

-pete.