panic: no BIOS SMAP info from loader

Bob Johnson fbsdlists at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 08:48:19 PST 2007

On 11/5/07, Bob Johnson <fbsdlists at gmail.com> wrote:

> My web searches on this indicated that when HP first introduced these
> systems, they had the same problem with Linux. HP provided a patch
> that allows recent Linux kernels to boot. Older i386 FreeBSDs also can
> not boot on my HP dc7700. So it appears someone has already fixed this
> for i386, but no one has moved it to AMD64.
>
> I don't remember which i386 versions work or don't work, but I can
> start booting install disks and find out.

Hmmm. Maybe I should retract that. I cannot find an i386 install CD
that won't boot on it. I've tried 7.0-BETA1, 6.2-STABLEsnap200708,
6.2-RC1, 6.1-RELEASE, 6.0-BETA2, 6.0-BETA1, 5.3-RC1 (hangs probing
ATA1), 4.5-RELEASE, and 4.3-RELEASE. But I thought I remembered being
unable to boot some i386 install CDs in it.

- Bob