panic: no BIOS SMAP info from loader

Bob Johnson fbsdlists at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 07:21:02 PST 2007

On 11/1/07, John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 01 November 2007 09:34:22 am Rong-en Fan wrote:
> > I have a HP dc7000 box, booting with i386 is fine, but not
> > amd64. It panics as soon as loader loads kernel. The console
> > snapshot is at
> >
> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/rafan/1814155320/
> >
> > under loader prompt, 'smap' shows nothing for both i386
> > and amd64. But i386 works well. I looked at archive, it
> > seems there are several reports, but no solution. BTW, the boot
> > cd I used is 7.0-BETA1.5.
>
> Does Linux find an SMAP?  Right now FreeBSD/amd64 requires an SMAP.

My web searches on this indicated that when HP first introduced these
systems, they had the same problem with Linux. HP provided a patch
that allows recent Linux kernels to boot. Older i386 FreeBSDs also can
not boot on my HP dc7700. So it appears someone has already fixed this
for i386, but no one has moved it to AMD64.

I don't remember which i386 versions work or don't work, but I can
start booting install disks and find out.

- Bob