amd64/112722: IP v4 udp fragmented packet reject

Kent Fox kent.fox at intermountainmail.org
Wed May 16 20:40:04 UTC 2007

>Number:         112722
>Category:       amd64
>Synopsis:       IP v4 udp fragmented packet reject
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
When an UDP IP fragment is received on one interface and is exiting out another interface (both interfaces have a mtu = 1500), a ICMP type 3 code 1 (destination unreachable) is sent to the sending host. All other UDP packets that are not fragmented and all TCP packets are passed without issue.

bge0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        options=1b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING>
        inet x.x.44.10 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast x.x.44.255
        ether 00:09:3d:11:99:a7
        status: active
bge1: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        options=1b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING>
        inet x.x.244.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast x.x.244.255
        ether 00:09:3d:11:99:a8
        status: active

>How-To-Repeat:
FreeBSD host with 2 interfaces used as a forwarding gateway. Create a IPSec tunnel that passes thru routers that have to fragment the packets then pass thru the FreeBSD gateway. Send a large amount of traffic (we try rdp and/or sync M$exchange). Monitor the ingress interface.
>Fix:
Not known.