Which CPUTYPE for a dualcore Xeon on AMD64

Martin Turgeon turgeon.martin at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 23:57:05 UTC 2007

Hi,

I recently installed AMD64 6.2 Release on 2 PowerEdge servers, both with
dual core Xeon (3070 and 5110). I noticed when I was updating the
sources that it was compiling as an Athlonxp by default. I was wondering
if I should change the CPUTYPE in make.conf to something else. I read at
some places that it is not recommended because it could cause problems
but I thought it would be interesting to start the debate here. Please
note that I would prefer not to go with the -STABLE or -CURRENT branch
because these a going to be essential productions servers.

Thank you for your opinions,

Martin