pwlib has been broken for some time

Steve Ames steve at virtual-voodoo.com
Thu Feb 15 17:35:00 UTC 2007

Sean McNeil wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 11:03 -0500, Steve Ames wrote:
>> ? Using the default system gcc? Its definately broke on amd64 using
>> gcc4.1 due to some 32/64 bit casting errors. But I expect with the
>> default gcc it should be compiling. Otherwise the automatic port
>> testing utilitiy would have sent me hate mail.
>>
>> http://pointyhat.freebsd.org/errorlogs/
>>
>> Seems to indicate that pwlib is building fine on amd64 under FBSD 5,
>> 6 and 7.
>
> Yes, this is with the default system compiler on 6.2.  The problem
> with the automatic port testing system is that it will not test all
> configurations.  For instance, it doesn't set WITH_DEBUG and it looks
> like this is the problem.  I end up with
> [SNIP]
> It turns out that WITH_DEBUG removes all options that start with -f
> from within /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk.  This is bad for your port as
> you add -fPIC in the top Makefile.  More appropriately, you should be
> doing the same thing Solaris or Linux does in the make/unix.mak file
> and add it in there.

K. Not unreasonable. As I said I have no way of testing that (so amd64
hardware) and cannot create/submit a patch without testing. Suggest you
create and test that patch and submit a PR... or (as a non-optimal
workaround, stop using the WITH_DEBUG option) or... (even less optimal to
the project as a whole perhaps) create a local patch for yourself and use
it.

Is this correct WITH_DEBUG behavior in the first place?

-Steve