Inspecting processes

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Thu Feb 8 09:33:05 UTC 2007

On 2007-Feb-05 22:08:33 -0000, Neil Doody <neil at mpfspromotions.com> wrote:
>I am having a problem in which apache processes are slowly going off on some
>sort of rampage and I cant trace what is causing it.  Basically over time
>httpd processes start hogging 100% cpu and new processes are spawned, until
>the apache server is shutdown these remain at 100% and they increase until
>they bring the server down.
>
>I was wondering what tools I can use to see exactly what these processes are
>doing, why they are stuck and what are they waiting for?

Specifically for apache, you could try mod-status (/server-status)
with "ExtendedStatus On".  This should let you track down the the
offending URL.

General tools would be ktrace and friends to see what syscalls it is
performing.  You could also try attaching a debugger and getting a
backtrace.  This might give you some idea where to start looking.

If this isn't a totally static website, my initial guess is that one
of the CGI scripts is running amok.

--
Peter Jeremy