Fw: To amd64 or not to amd64?

Gabriele Cecchetti gabriele at sssup.it
Mon Oct 23 09:12:31 PDT 2006

I add myself to this thread for a simple question.
We use amd64 even on Conroe 2 when we use our PC as Internet servers.
Maybe is wrong, but this sounds as 'a little harder' to attack (maybe
some known attacks works on i386 code but not on amd64 code).
The main drawback I encounter (or I think so), it is with some contrib
software that does not work as we wish, or is not available at all.
For example we would like to use CODA, but the client side does not work
(venus panics as documented by a PR), we  would like to use OpenAFS, but
we did not find any working distribution (while is available for i386),
ggate right now does not work for another documented problem.
I know that i386 platform has a lot of open PRs, but the feeling is that
with amd64, if you play hard... the things will get harder! :-)

_IMHO_

Gabriele