video card for amd64

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Wed Oct 18 07:15:55 PDT 2006

In <4535CC95.5030501 at gneto.com>, Martin Nilsson <martin at gneto.com> typed:
> Mike Meyer skrev:
> > "Better" is a judgement call, and doesn't imply "good". I'd say ATI is
> > better than nVidia, because ATI provides information for at least some
> > of their cards, so you can get open source drivers for them that work
> For cards that are ~3years old! The ones you can buy today does not work
> at all!

Gee, that's odd. I bought an ATI card last month. Works like a
charm. Much better than the nVidia cards it replaced.  Checking again,
I still see lots of cards supported by the OS radeon driver
there. Maybe you're going to the wrong stores?

Yeah, the newest cards aren't supported. That's the R5XXX cards -
which were introduced about a year ago, *not* three years ago. Of
course, maybe you're focused on 3d support, which is missing for cards
using the R3XX and later chips.

> > Whether releasing closed-source drivers for a handful of open-source
> > platforms qualifies as "supporting open source" is another
> > question. Clearly they're supporting the platform, but that's not
> > necessarily the same thing.
> At present the nVidia cards is the only choice for FreeBSD,

Not if you want to use it on something other than i386. That's why the
very first question I asked is the important one - what do you want to
use it for? For what I want it for, ATI is the only choice.

> no amd64 support but that is FreeBSD's fault not nVidia

Why is that FreeBSD's fault?

	<mike