Supermicro H8DCE-HTe

Roman Neuhauser neuhauser at sigpipe.cz
Tue Oct 17 05:03:47 PDT 2006

# kgunders at teamcool.net / 2006-10-16 18:05:13 -0600:
> On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 19:07:54 +0000
> Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser at sigpipe.cz> wrote:
> > does anyone run FreeBSD on Supermicro H8DCE-HTe?
> > http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/Opteron/nForce/H8DCE-HTe.cfm
> >
> > TIA for any info.
>
> Checking here I note that a recent versions of Linux have been
> "minimally" tested:
>
> <http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/support/resources/OS/OS_Compatibility.cfm>

    Yeah I saw the matrix. I asked precisely because they mention
    "minimal" testing. I'm more interested in what they don't say. :)

> so it might be worth rolling the dice.

    Well, it's quite a purchase, so I'd like to have as much confidence
    in the stuff as possible (before I shell out the money of course :).

    These are things I'm concerned about:

    Does X (2D applications plus the occasional mplayer) work with two
    7950GT cards in SLI (assuming a single 7950GT works in the first
    place, and since I've paid little attention to nVidia until now, I'm
    not sure about the level of support)?

    Do the onboard NICs "just work", or do they occasionally panic
    the system on boot or upon "ifconfig <dev> media ...", or sometimes
    miss patting watchdogs?

    Anything I should look out for in my choice of memory? Supermicro
    lists e. g. Kingston's ValueRAM (KVR) ECC models, should I expect the
    board to work with the faster HyperX (KRX) ECC modules, or is there
    a gotcha waiting to bite me?

    Supermicro recommends populating both CPU sockets for access to
    all PCI-X slots, but the board has only PCI and PCI-Express. WTF?
    (I'm waiting for their support to answer my query on this.)

> You may be able to get an evaluation unit from your distributor.

    Around here and with the small volume of the deal (a single
    board)... not bloody likely.

You don't know, man.  You don't KNOW.