amd64/104311: ports/wine should be installable on amd64

Scot Hetzel swhetzel at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 23:30:20 PDT 2006

The following reply was made to PR amd64/104311; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Scot Hetzel" <swhetzel at gmail.com>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org, stephanie at sosdg.org
Subject: Re: amd64/104311: ports/wine should be installable on amd64
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 01:25:37 -0500

 > ports/wine is not installable under amd64 under any version of freebsd to date. I don't remember what the underlying technical problem is, but this makes the amd64 build of freebsd absolutely useless to me, due to the need to run some Windows applications.

 The technical problem is that to build wine under amd64, you need to
 be able to build 32bit libraries for all of wine's dependant ports.

 You can make wine run on amd64, but you must first build it on i386.
 Then copy it to your amd64 system, including all of the library
 dependancies (untested).

 Wine64 (the 64bit version of wine) will not build on FreeBSD/amd64 due
 to it needs someone to write the code to save/restore the cpu
 registers.  Wine64 will only run 64bit windows applications, you won't
 be able to run 32bit windows applications on wine64.

 If wine is important to you, then you have 3 choices:

 1. submit patches to create the lib32-* library ports and the
 necessary patches to Mk/bsd.ports.mk and emulators/wine to allow it to
 build on the amd64 architecture.

 2. Set your system to dual boot FreeBSD/amd64 and FreeBSD/i386.

 3. Reinstall your system with FreeBSD/i386 only.

 Scot