Dell U320 disk array (was Re: major pita w/LSI Tyan TA26 combo)

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Mon Oct 9 09:00:38 PDT 2006

On Mar 6, 2006, at 10:41 AM, Vivek Khera wrote:

>>> From myunderstanding from talking to LSI support Adaptec cards will
>> automatically drop to U160 if they can't keep up w/U320??
>
> they told me this too.  however, if i query the card with aaccli,
> it reports every device is running at 320 speed.  So someone/
> something is not entirely truthful.

Following up from an ancient thread... for the archives:

Last week, the Adaptec card reported some drives on the Dell
enclosure as "missing" or failed.  Pulling them out and putting them
back in brought them back to life nicely, except they all reported in
at U160 speed instead of U320.  Once rebuild was complete, a reboot
resulted in all drives showing up again as U320.

I'm placing blame squarely on the enclosure now.  I do not believe it
is truly up to full U320 spec.  Even after replacing the backplane,
etc.  Dell claims otherwise, naturally.  Guess what *I* won't be
buying ever again.