Supermicro H8DA8

Pete French petefrench at ticketswitch.com
Thu Nov 30 04:32:29 PST 2006

> In first place thanks for answering. Seems nobody touched
> your PR ... I also saw other threads describing appearently

I know - which seems a bit sad as I am actually offering to give
away free hardware to help solve it... I rather like the MSI
board, but I have t say that I am hapier with the Tyan I replaced
it with.

> the same problem. But I got this kind of problem often with
> SMP and not only with opterons and SCSI but also with

Now thats interesting. It ist a speciicly SCSI thing BTW - it
seems to be and external disc controller - though the only
ones I have which arent SCSI are RAID.

> athlon dual-cores. But until now I got all resolved with
> setting the Bios better and sometimes even with changing
> pci-slot position.

You cant do that with the Supermicro board because the SCSI
adapter in one the motheroard, so moving it to a different slot
is a problem :) But I played around with all the settings I
could and neer got it working. The only way for it to go SMP
is to remove the SCSI and RAID addapters from the board and boot
off the IDE.

> Even if it says nothing I have some Tyan Dual opterons and
> the MBs have the same chipset the Supermicro has and they
> run fine.

Indeed - the Tyan I relaced it with has the same chipset!

> But on the amd64 MB list is one tested with 6.0-B saying is
> working ...

The boards can be made to work if you dont have SCSI - but I
treat that ist with scepticism. It doesnt necessarily mean it
will work for my combination of hardware.

-pete.