amd64/105513: Kernel Panic during package installation on 6.2 beta3

John alucardtepesXI at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 14 01:26:21 PST 2006

>Number:         105513
>Category:       amd64
>Synopsis:       Kernel Panic during package installation on 6.2 beta3
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
I am trying to install freebsd6.2 beta3 on my athlon64 3800+ x2, asus a8n32-sli delux, 1024GB of ram, sound blaster audigy, evga 7800gt 256mb pcie, 250 western digital, 40 gig samsung (slave) computer. Did a standard install with acpi off. The media was ftp. I did a custom for my distrobution set. I manually selected the packages i wanted. Then during the installation of the packages, I get a kernel panic "init failure...nothing left to do. Hit any key for console. Reboot. Rebooting".  I notice this happened during the pkg_add portsupgrade package. The reason i am using the beta is because the older versions dont detect my nforce and marvell nics.
>How-To-Repeat:
Install freebsd 6.2 beta3 on a system like mine (see above) and customly select packages for gnome, xorg, and sound utilitys, hell select all of them, im sure it will do it.
>Fix:
Dont know..still a little new to the *bsds.