amd64/105437: 6.2-BETA3 crashes on amd64

Ruslan Ermilov ru at freebsd.org
Sun Nov 12 14:30:31 PST 2006

The following reply was made to PR amd64/105437; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ruslan Ermilov <ru at freebsd.org>
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek at tensor.3miasto.net>
Cc: bug-followup at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: amd64/105437: 6.2-BETA3 crashes on amd64
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 01:24:39 +0300

 On Sun, Nov 12, 2006 at 09:29:29PM +0100, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

 > effects:
 >
 > 1) after compiling kernel with
 >
 > >>options         INVARIANTS              # Enable calls of extra sanity
 > >>checking
 > >>options         INVARIANT_SUPPORT       # Extra sanity checks of internal
 > >>structures, required by INVARIANTS
 > >>options         WITNESS                 # Enable checks to detect
 > >>deadlocks and cycles
 > >>options         WITNESS_SKIPSPIN        # Don't run witness on spinlocks
 > >>for speed
 >

 > kernel crashes after maybe 5 seconds after boot!!!
 >
 > see dmesg.4 - done with dmesg -M, and typescript.4 done with kgdb

 This is the bug in the current rue(4) driver; it holds a non-sleepable
 lock in rue_read_mem() and calls into USB stack that wants to sleep;
 hence it panics.  There's a major rework of the USB stack happening
 now in FreeBSD Perforce; I've looked there and the new rue(4) driver
 doesn't have this problem.  I suggest that you don't use USB NICs at
 the moment if this is possible.

 > because this server must work, i compiled kernel again without these
 > options and it started.
 >
 > later i did as root
 >
 > /etc/rc.d/route6d stop
 >
 > and it crashed :) and similar crash i've got some time ago.
 >
 > see dmesg.5 and typescript.5

 This can be traces of the same problem; after you eliminate the
 USB NIC from your system, let's see what happens to it next.

 Cheers,
 --
 Ruslan Ermilov
 ru at FreeBSD.org