amd64/105155: Firfox hangs on a recently upgraded 6.2-PRERELEASE.

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Sun Nov 5 00:01:00 UTC 2006

The following reply was made to PR amd64/105155; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Roland Smith <rsmith at xs4all.nl>
To: "O. Hartmann" <ohartman at mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org, freebsd-amd64 at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: amd64/105155: Firfox hangs on a recently upgraded 6.2-PRERELEASE.
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 00:51:41 +0100

 --HlL+5n6rz5pIUxbD

 On Sat, Nov 04, 2006 at 11:04:27PM +0100, O. Hartmann wrote:
 > Roland Smith wrote:
 > >> Number:         105155
 > >> Category:       amd64
 > >> Synopsis:       Firfox hangs on a recently upgraded 6.2-PRERELEASE.
 > >> Confidential:   no
 > >> Severity:       serious
 > >> Environment:
 > >>    =20
 > > System: FreeBSD slackbox.xs4all.nl 6.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.2-PRERELEAS=
 E #0: Sat Nov 4 12:09:58 CET 2006 rsmith at slackbox.xs4all.nl:/usr/obj/usr/sr=
 c/sys/RFS amd64

 > > =09
 > >  =20
 > >>    =20
 > >
 > > After upgrading to 6.2-PRERELEASE, firefox hangs when trying to set
 > > some of the preferences, or when opening certain websites.
 > >
 > > Upgrading all ports didn't help.
 > >
 > > Starting firfox from a terminal gives the following error:
 > >
 > > GConf Error: Failed to launch configuration server: Failed to execute c=
 hild process "/usr/local/libexec/gconfd-2" (Invalid argument)

 > >  =20
 > >> How-To-Repeat:
 > >>    =20
 > > Update to 6.2-PRERELEASE on amd64, start firefox. Open the "preferences"
 > > dialog, select the "Content" tab, and press the "Manage..." button. Fir=
 efox
 > > will hang.
 > >

 > I can do the recommended 'task for crash', but it takes a while, say,
 > about 30 seconds, before Firefox is bak.
 >=20
 > But I also realized a more often hang when closing Firefox, the
 > process is still there, eating up 100% CPU time.

 I get instant hangs. Usually there is no CPU usage at all. If I try to
 attach gdb to a firefox-bin process, it barfs.

 One time I got a hang at startup with 100% CPU usage.

 It was possible to to a ktrace on it. But the ktrace.out is 50 MB, so I
 won't post it here. :-) I can mail it if anybody is interested.

 One thing that struck me when going over the tracedump was this:

  23905 firefox-bin CALL  kse_thr_interrupt(0,0x6,0x7fffffffd120)
  23905 firefox-bin RET   kse_thr_interrupt -1 errno 22 Invalid argument

 It happens on all the firefox-bin processes. It looks like is being
 called with a NULL pointer as its first argument. This looks fishy to
 me. If it is suspect, the trouble might be in the pthread library?

 BTW, the prototype for kse_thr_interrupt in the kse(2) manpage doesn't
 match /usr/include/sys/kse.h

 Roland
 --=20

 --HlL+5n6rz5pIUxbD