amd64 webpage, 12GB memory? 64-bit or not? SMP or not?

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Tue Mar 28 02:01:59 UTC 2006

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 17:02:20 -0800 (PST)
"Jeremy C. Reed" <reed at reedmedia.net> wrote:

> That is an alternative. (And we did end up having someone local
> reinstall from an amd64 disk.) But even a 30 minute job could involve
> over a day to wait for scheduling or due to time differences.

consider installing an offband access device, like a serial console, HP
iLo card or other. they pay for themselves many times over.

> Thank you for your kind email. I am not sure why some of the other
> emails were rude.

:)  i dont really think anyone was being rude (compared to what i've
seen.... they were just pointing out what they thought was obvious).
Again, a lot of what we convey in communication is lost in
email (and translation).

>. If possible, some output in
> dmesg that said something like "AMD64 should be used for this system"
> and "This system appears to have multiprocessors so consider using
> options SMP" could be useful for even a novice.

Consider submitting a patch. This extra information would be useful at
install time in sysinstall too, i think.

Beto