amd64 webpage, 12GB memory? 64-bit or not? SMP or not?

Joseph Vella satyam at sklinks.com
Sat Mar 18 08:43:39 UTC 2006

On Friday 17 March 2006 20:08, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> The amd64 webpage http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/amd64.html is not
> easily found via front homepage. Searching for "amd64" does not get there.
> And "platforms" link is not easily seen on front pages. I may have
> overlooked though. Please make this easier to find.

In the upper left part of the website homepage, there's a single paragraph.
The last sentence of that paragraph has a direct link to the page you refer.

> The amd64 webpage is missing either links to the amd64 Hardware Notes
> and release notes or the information provided in them. (For example, the
> Hardware Notes mentions Intel Xeon, but amd64 webpage only mentions
> Opteron and Athlon.)
>
> (Should I email the above two comments to freebsd-www@?)
>
> I was told a remote system is a 64-bit, dual processor with 12 GB memory.
>
> How can I tell if a 2.80Ghz Xeon is a 32-bit Xeon or a 64-bit Xeon? What
> do I look for in the 6.0-RELEASE GENERIC i386 dmesg output? I do see:
>
> ACPI APIC Table: <PTLTD          APIC  >
> Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 0
> CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz (2793.01-MHz 686-class CPU)
>   Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0xf43  Stepping = 3

Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,C
> MOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
>   Features2=0x641d<SSE3,RSVD2,MON,DS_CPL,CNTX-ID,CX16,<b14>>
>   AMD Features=0x20100000<NX,LM>
>   Hyperthreading: 2 logical CPUs
> real memory  = 3489071104 (3327 MB)
> avail memory = 3414630400 (3256 MB)
>
> How can I tell if it can take advantage of "options SMP" (from looking at
> 6.0-RELEASE i386 GENERIC output)? (I do see "Hyperthreading: 2 logical
> CPUs".)

Right after the lines you posted I have "Multiprocessor System Detected: 2
CPUs":

Features=0x178bfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,HTT>
  Features2=0x1<SSE3>
  AMD Features=0xe2500800<SYSCALL,NX,MMX+,<b25>,LM,3DNow+,3DNow>
  Hyperthreading: 2 logical CPUs
real memory  = 2147155968 (2047 MB)
avail memory = 2091982848 (1995 MB)
FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 2 CPUs
 cpu0 (BSP): APIC ID:  0
 cpu1 (AP): APIC ID:  1

I had to recompile my kernel to get that.  I found it pretty easy to do, the
Handbook tells you how.  I'm not sure if this was in there but I had to add
"Options SMP"  to my kernel config file.

Under the section "II. Common Tasks" you'll find Configuring the FreeBSD
Kernel:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig.html
The handbook is the main official source of documentation.  I find it to be
amazingly complete and accurate. I usually start there for anything I need.