amd64 webpage, 12GB memory? 64-bit or not? SMP or not?

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Sat Mar 18 04:08:18 UTC 2006

The amd64 webpage http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/amd64.html is not
easily found via front homepage. Searching for "amd64" does not get there.
And "platforms" link is not easily seen on front pages. I may have
overlooked though. Please make this easier to find.

The amd64 webpage is missing either links to the amd64 Hardware Notes
and release notes or the information provided in them. (For example, the
Hardware Notes mentions Intel Xeon, but amd64 webpage only mentions
Opteron and Athlon.)

(Should I email the above two comments to freebsd-www@?)

I was told a remote system is a 64-bit, dual processor with 12 GB memory.

How can I tell if a 2.80Ghz Xeon is a 32-bit Xeon or a 64-bit Xeon? What
do I look for in the 6.0-RELEASE GENERIC i386 dmesg output? I do see:

ACPI APIC Table: <PTLTD          APIC  >
Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 0
CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz (2793.01-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0xf43  Stepping = 3

Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,C
MOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
  Features2=0x641d<SSE3,RSVD2,MON,DS_CPL,CNTX-ID,CX16,<b14>>
  AMD Features=0x20100000<NX,LM>
  Hyperthreading: 2 logical CPUs
real memory  = 3489071104 (3327 MB)
avail memory = 3414630400 (3256 MB)

How can I tell if it can take advantage of "options SMP" (from looking at
6.0-RELEASE i386 GENERIC output)? (I do see "Hyperthreading: 2 logical
CPUs".)

I was told it has 12 GB of memory. The Hardware Notes also says "The
largest tested memory configuration to date is 8GB." But I only see "real
memory = 3489071104 (3327 MB)".

(I also looked at NYCBUG's dmesg database but didn't seem to find any same
Xeon.)

Also maybe answers or advice for above can be listed on the amd64 webpage.

Thanks,

 Jeremy C. Reed

echo '9,J8HD,fDGG8B@?:536FC5=8 at I;C5?@H5B0D at 5GBIELD54DL>@8L?:5GDEJ8LDG1' |\
sed ss,s50EBsg | tr 0-M 'p.wBt SgiIlxmLhan:o,erDsduv/cyP'