amd64 slower than i386 on identical AMD 64 system?

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Fri Mar 17 05:46:48 UTC 2006

On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 09:24:59AM -0800 I heard the voice of
Peter Wemm, and lo! it spake thus:

> As a result, I will not use a machine without ECC.  The memory
> controller on all Athlon64 and Opteron cpus works in ECC mode, it
> isn't a motherboard issue (unless they forget to wire up bits 65
> through 72, or forget to put the bios options in).

I've heard statements, though, that there ARE a non-trivial number of
motherboards that [fail to] do those sort of things (it probably saves
almost a deci-penny a board, after all).  Me, I just stick with ECC
'cuz I like my data.  I wonder, though, if anybody has run across
specific makes of boards that get in the way of running ECC; would be
nice to mention it on the motherboards page if so.

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net