amd64 slower than i386 on identical AMD 64 system?

Ken Gunderson kgunders at teamcool.net
Wed Mar 15 21:46:04 UTC 2006

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 17:54:27 -0300
JoaoBR <joao at matik.com.br> wrote:

> On Wednesday 15 March 2006 17:39, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> >
> > Yes, but the problem is that you didn't stop and file a bug report
> > when you learned of the problems (and then turn off the broken
> > option), but instead wrote an email in which you made the broad claim
> > that FreeBSD's SMP support was unstable.
> >

> whats that now? absolutly not true
>
> read the thread again and show me where I said that but to help you out: I
> said that I (I!) have problems with X2 processor with very specific memory
> amount installed on certain hardware when SMP is enabled
>
> don't turn my words around
>

> > > well, that was my first thought too but makes no sense if the same
> > > happens on several different brands,
> >
> > Why not?  It is well-documented that many motherboards need BIOS
> > updates to work correctly with dual-core CPUs.
> >

> you are more clever than that aren't you? Or do you try to get clever with me?
>
> means: makes no sense that the bios is broken on all MBs I tried
>
> overall you cut the important thing where I said that I did tried other bios
> versions
>
> and what you say here has nothing to do with all of this because the bios
> updates you're talking about are necessary on certain MBs in order to
> recognize the X2 - so we are beyond this point ...

The systems I referenced came w/default BIOS that supported dual core
cpu's out of the gate.  They were also defective.  Which illustrates
why MB vendors have proceedures to investigate complaints and
release updated BIOS where warranted.

Step 1 of any such proceedures is to confirm that you're using the
latest firmware (and drivers where appropriate).  If you're not they
pretty much stop conversation until you update and are able to report
that the problem still exists.

Also, you reported you were having memory related issues but I missed
any reply to my query regarding memory timings in BIOS.  I've seen some
MB's ship w/1T and other aggressive timings enabled.  I assume so
that they can get out of the box perf boost for those MS gaming
site reviews where stability takes a back seat to bleeding edge
performance. But these more aggressive timings can also cause stability
issues.

--
Best regards,

Ken Gunderson