6.0-RELEASE/AMD64 Ram Capacity?

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Mon Mar 13 20:58:10 UTC 2006

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 02:43:20PM -0500, Nathan Vidican wrote:
>
>>I seem to recall various threads relating to problems with machines running
>>at or above 4GB ram... what if any issues still exist?
>

> The only potential issues are with specific drivers (e.g. ata).
> Search the amd64 mailing list archives for more discussion.
>
> Kris

Ok, off the top of my head:

Storage drivers that are known to work with amd64 and 4GB of RAM or more:

aac
amr
iir (6.1 and above only)
ips
ahc
ahd
ciss
arcmsr
mpt
isp

Storage drivers that should work, but might need more testing and

twa
twe
mlx
mly
amd
trm

Storage drivers that are known to have problems under load:

ata
hptmv

Storage drivers that simply will not work::

asr
asr
asr
asr
asr
pst
ida
sym

This list isn't definitive, and I've purposely excluded ISA controllers
and controllers that are significantly out of date, but it's close
enough to give you a good idea of what to shop for.

Personally, I feel a bit bad that ata and sym aren't in the first group,
but there are only so many hours in the day.  Both present interesting
challenges.

Scott