major pita w/LSI Tyan TA26 combo

V. T. Mueller freebsd-amd64 at datafarm.de
Sat Mar 11 13:50:03 GMT 2006

Hello Ken,

Ken Gunderson schrieb:
> On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 17:34:24 +0100
> "V. T. Mueller" <freebsd-amd64 at datafarm.de> wrote:
>>We used to have problems with adapters running at 66MHz or more
>>using risercards in a number of Tyan S2707. Those risercards came
>>from Chenbro, along with the cases. By replacing them with Tyan
>>risercards (which became available a few months *after* the boards)
>>those problems vanished.
>>
>>And now comes the interesting part: Months later, problems began to
>>reoccur. In the end we found out that the power supplies were of
>>somewhat low quality. Replacing the power supply helped in every
>>system that was affected.
>
> Could you please provide more details about the low quality units, e.g.
> make and model?

Sorry for the delay. Here is the data of one of those PSUs:

EMACS/zippy Model: P2U-6300P (V)
Ser. No.: T33406403
http://www.zippy.com.tw/P_product_detail.asp?lv_rfnbr=2&pp_rfnbr=1074&pcp_rfnbr=2&pp_name=&pcp_name=2U%20Single&pcpw_rfnbr=2&pp_code=P2U-6300P

We had a bunch of them replaced with newer versions. I can't tell
you from which serial number onwards the problems went away but I
was told that all models with "black labelled fan" cause problems
and all with "blue labelled fan" work flawlessly. So the latter
might be somewhat revision 2 ...

Cheers,
vt